Heather Hector    

Heather HoeltingPresident of Colorado Springs Insurance, Inc. 


Q: What is the difference between a Captive Agent and an Independent Agent?

A: The difference is freedom of choice! Most Captive Agents only have one Carrier’s products to offer where Independent Agent’s like myself have multiple Carriers! This means I have the freedom to “shop” the market until I find you a product that fits your needs and your budget. I have over 30 different Carriers to choose from instead of just one which means freedom for you to pick the product right for you.


Q: Do you insure homes with T-Lock shingles, wood shake shingle or multiple claims?

A: I do! With the wide variety of Carriers I have access to I am able to insure these “hard to place” risks with ease and within your budget.


Q: What is the State Minimum Liability requirements for Auto insurance?

A: The State Minimum Liability requirements are 25/50/15 for Bodily Injury per Person, Per Accident & Property Damage. I usually do NOT recommend this low coverage regardless of your income or how much you drive. The cost to increase your coverage to protect yourself to an adequate level is minimal.


Q: What services do you offer?

A: I am a full service Agency. I offer all lines of insurance products and services including Commercial, Property, and Casualty.


Q: What do you specialize in?

A: I specialize in Commercial Insurance for small, mid-size and large businesses. I am very experienced in this field like few other Property & Casualty Agencies are. I insure restaurants, auto repair shops, HVAC businesses, retail stores, Lessor’s Risks, Accountant’s Professional Liability, hotels, roofing companies, General Contractors, and many more. Please call me to see if I can insure your business!


Q: How can I contact you after hours if I have a claim?

A: If you look on the Declaration page of your policy, there will be a claims number you can call 24/7 or you can check on my Lines page for the  link to your insurance company website. You can also look the company up online or you can send me an email through this website. I will be notified to assist you.


Q: What do I do if I have a claim?

A: The most important thing to do is to stop further damage if possible. If you have a water leak, turn off your water supply & try to dry the area with towels or fans. Call a service professional like a plumber or a water restoration company if necessary. Contact me or your insurance company to check to see if the claim is covered or to file a claim.


Q: I don’t see the question I was looking for.

A: Please send it to me & I’ll add it to this page! Use any of the links on my website to email your question to me & you’ll get an answer right away.


Q: How do I reach you?

A: My phone is 719-694-8788. Please call me anytime or send me an email to HeatherHoelting@COSpringsInsurance.com.